Sunday, June 19, 2011

Are shorts a good goal marker?

I have the best friends a girl could ask for.  They love me no matter what choices I make, size I am, or crazy new idea I have.  To illustrate this point, I have to share a story about them and the reason this post is titled what it is.

Two years ago we went on a girls' trip to Ojai.  Of course shopping at the outlet mall was a scheduled stop.  (Now for those of you who shop plus size, you can probably relate to how NOT FUN shopping in the regular stores can be-- knowing that you can't wear any of the clothes because they won't fit.)  Well we divided up into two groups at some point...those who wanted to continue to shop and those who were ready to go to the house.  Apparently, the girls who stayed to shop some more, came across these hot pink shorts and wanted to get them for the group.  (yes, we are dorky...matchy-matchy-- but only when we go to the gym or for a walk on the beach.)  Anyhoo, when they arrived at the hotel and gave out this little surprise, I found out they bought shorts in size medium......for all of us. 

Now, I am NOT a medium....NOT even a large.....XL or XXL..that's me.  I KNOW they probably struggled in the store with the notion that I would have gotten my feelings hurt if they bought me the appropriate size for my butt, but honestly, I wouldn't have.  The end result is that I know they got everyone the same size so I wouldn't feel weird or uncomfortable.  The shorts were really stretchy, yes, I could wear them....with a huge t-shirt over them so you couldn't see all of my rolls, but they didn't fit comfortably and still don't.  (think sausage casing...not pretty)

So, here is what I am asking you:  Is being able to wear those shorts with a tank top or t-shirt and feel good in them a good goal?  I have been asked at all my pre-op appointments "what  is your goal weight?"  I honestly don't know....I have an idea, but quite frankly, I just want to be smaller and STAY AT THAT WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think I now may just answer the above question with "I want to feel good in my pink shorts...whatever number on the scale that is."

3 comments:

  1. I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I'm 5'5" and I'm setting my goal weight at 130 but that seems kind of small to me. I hope I'm not setting it too low but then again I used the lap band website to come up with that number. I would just set it something in your Normal BMI range. But size medium shorts are a very good goal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...and no.
    I think we all have a piece of clothing that we keep as a 'place holder' for the size we want to be. I know I have a pair of jeans that I would love to fit into-forget the fact that even if was that size, I have since had two children via c-section. Those suckers would never fit the same even if I stopped eating altogether.
    So yes...definitely keep them close by, and be excited when they are comfy.
    However...(ladies who were also on this trip and purchased those shorts, please don't be offended) as someone who has seen these shorts, tried them on, and has also hidden them in the deep recesses of the closet...
    Those particular shorts would only look good on a 14 year old, 6 foot tall beach volleyball playing girl!!!! (but I really appreciate the ladies that took the time to pick them out and get them for us! Really! Love you guys!)
    ...just a thought.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a great goal marker.

    I am not a good goal maker myself. I'm always afraid of failure. But I want to feel comfortable in my own skin. So I made a goal weight but If I get there I do..if I go past it then great. I just want to be in regular sizes!

    ReplyDelete